Top k countries
5 March 2019
I tried a little mapping experiment. If I had more time I could write some code to automate this whole process.
The surprise to me here is Mexico. It just ~barely~ makes 15th place in both area and GDP. Japan lacks area, Indonesia lacks productivity, Australia and Canada lack people.
Another mapping experiment:
- Life expectancy at birth, years (2016, World Bank)
- Mean years of schooling completed (2015, UN)
- Gross National Income per capita, PPP (2017, World Bank)
With a few modifications, these are the three components of the Human Development Index (HDI).
Countries with 1/3:
- Gulf Arabs + Brunei are rich
- Mediterraneans age well
- Former communists spent a lot of time studying
Countries with 2/3:
- Denmark, Germany and US lack life expectancy
- Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Netherlands, Singapore lack education
- Israel, New Zealand, Slovenia and South Korea lack income
Countries with 3/3: Britain & longtime colonies + selected Nordics + multiethnic European banking havens + Japan.
The four CUBI countries have it all. Nigeria lacks money. Russia lacks children. Indonesia lacks good land.